If you leave cereal in an opened bag, it will absorb moisture from the air and turn soggy. Your favorite breakfast food will lose its crunchiness over time and may end up getting stale.
Another problem is that once you open up paper or plastic bags, the contents may spill in your kitchen cupboards or all over the floor, making your kitchen quite a mess. This can also attract insects or other pests.
To preserve the crunchiness and flavor of your cereals for the long term, you need to store them properly. Cereal storage containers can help solve this problem.
Cereal containers keep your cereal fresh and crispy and reduce food waste. Transparent cereal holders make it easy to find what you need without opening the container or using labels.
What are the advantages of cereal containers?
1) They keep your cereal dry, fresh, and ready to use.
2) They keep rats, insects, and smaller pests out.
3) They ensure your frequently used cereals are within a reach.
4) They lock the contents inside and protects them from spilling.
5) They help to keep your kitchen/pantry organized.
What makes the perfect container for storing cereals?
1) Materials: The containers should be sturdy enough to not break under normal use and care. BPA-free plastic is the most popular material among customers because it is durable, lightweight, and easy to maintain. Another option is glass, which keeps cereals safe, doesn’t absorb flavors, and doesn’t alter the taste. Cereal holders made of borosilicate glass are less fragile than those made of common glass.
2) Tight seal: The lid should hermetically seal the container to keep small pests out and protect the contents from moisture and oxidation. Properly sealed lids prevent cereal from becoming stale and keep uninvited visitors away from the container and out of your pantry.
3) User-friendly closure system: Food containers come with a variety of closure systems, but some are better than others. Tightly sealing the lid should be an easy task, and a push-button closure can be your best option for easy locking and unlocking.
4) Aesthetic appearance: Elegant containers look good on your shelf. They can make your kitchen cabinet look pretty and neat. You can display eye-pleasing containers on the countertop in your kitchen or put them on top of the fridge if you are short of space.
5) See-through design: Transparent cereal holders make it easy to find what you need without opening the container or using labels. You can easily monitor the contents within and see when you’re running low on a product prior to making your shopping list.
6) Appropriate size: Try to get the size that suits your needs but also fits the available space in your kitchen. You would not be happy with a container if you cannot store a regular-sized box of cereal in it. However, you need to measure your pantry shelf prior to purchasing to make sure that the container fits well on your shelves.
6) Space-efficient shape: A sleek, contoured cereal keeper is more space-effective than a round one. Stackable cereal holders are great space savers, and modular containers can be customized to fit almost any space.
7) Easy-to-hold design: An ergonomic design makes a container comfortable to hold and use. Containers that are narrow at the bottom are easier to grasp than those with wider bottoms. Having an ergonomic grip area on the container also makes pouring easy with one hand and reduces the chance of spilling.
8) Easy cleaning: Some cereal containers are dishwasher safe, with the exception of silicone sealing rings, while others require hand washing. Hand washing shouldn’t be a problem because non-porous plastic or glass surfaces are easy to clean. Use a soft sponge when cleaning plastic canisters and avoid abrasive pads as they can leave scratches.
When cleaning these containers, be aware that the lids can trap water. Take the lids apart before washing and allow them plenty of time to dry. Make sure the lids are completely dry before use to avoid any unwanted moisture in your cereal containers.