As a food packaging material, glass offers many benefits;
- The glass is rated “GRAS” by FDA, meaning that it is “generally recognized as a safe” substance when used as a packaging material for holding food and drinks.
- Glass containers are a safe and healthy choice for food storage because glass is a chemically inert material, so there is no risk of interaction with food contained in it. It can be used with virtually all types of foods, including acidic and alkaline ones.
- Food inside a glass container will maintain nutritional values and freshness for a longer period of time compared to plastic. Glass helps maintain cold temperatures and provides an impermeable barrier against moisture and oxygen, ensuring that the food inside a container keeps its freshness, aroma, and flavor for longer.
- The content is visible in clear glass containers, so you can see what you have in your fridge.
- Clear glassware gives a clean, elegant appearance to food served or stored in it.
- Glass food containers are suitable for placing in a refrigerator/freezer and are also safe for microwave use.
- From a hygiene viewpoint, glass is easy to clean and sterilize. Glass also doesn’t keep odors or alter flavors as some other materials can do.
- Glass food containers are the preferred choice for consumers concerned about the environment because they are reusable and infinitely recyclable.
What to Look for When You Shop for a Glass Food Container?
Here are a few tips to help you get the most for your money:
The lid should provide an airtight seal to keep moisture and pests out and to prevent bacterial contamination of food. A sealed glass container also prevents waste due to leaking or spilling.
Tempered Glass for Durability
Opt for storage containers made of tempered glass which is 4-5 times stronger and more durable than ordinary glass. You can transfer food in them straight from the fridge to the microwave oven. When tempered glass is fractured it breaks into small granular chunks that are less likely to cause injury than common glass.
If your storage space is limited opt for square shapes that fit closely together or choose from a wide range of stackable glass containers, which are great space savers.
Easy Find Lid System
This system makes finding the lids much more convenient. The lids snap together and to container bases. In addition to saving space in your cupboard, Easy Find Lid System ensures that you can always find a lid that matches the container.
Your storage containers should be dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
Look for Reputable Brands
To make the right choice, focus on the most reliable manufacturers that produce safe, durable, and environmentally friendly products.
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
This bowl set comes in a variety of sizes to fit most everyday cooking and storage needs. You can use them for mixing, baking in the oven, or storing leftovers in the fridge. They are safe to use in an oven, freezer, and microwave (without lids). Glass gives them an elegant appearance, so they look nice as serving bowls at your dinner table.
The lids have different colors and large sizes marking, so it is always easy to find the matching lid. The lids are BPA-free and make a good seal that won’t pop off or leak.
The bowls have a nice lip around the top edges which makes them easy to hold.
They are heavy enough to stay stable when you are mixing but still light enough to handle them effortlessly.
The set is very durable, but sudden temperature changes should be avoided to keep the pieces from breaking.
- Can be used in multiple ways
- Nest well to save cupboard space
- Come in the multiple sizes
- Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher-safe
- Oven safe (without lids)
- Colorful, matching lids
- Pretty heavy, especially the largest bowl
- Cannot withstand extreme temperature changes
These all-natural glass vessels are made of tempered glass which can withstand mild to moderate thermal shock.
A durable silicone seal makes the containers leak-proof and keeps food fresh for several days. The snap-lock feature makes it easy to seal and remove the lids and prevents the content from leaking.
The containers nest inside each other which makes it easy to store them in the kitchen cabinet when not in use.
The lid and container are transparent so you can always see what is inside without opening. This means less spoilage of food in your fridge.
The glass looks nice on the table which makes these containers ideal for serving food.
You can heat them in the microwave after removing the lids.
These containers work well with convection ovens as long as you follow directions to avoid thermal shock and handle hot glass appropriately.
They are also great for storing liquids and are convenient for taking lunch to work.
This set is made in Korea.
- Good assortment of sizes
- Space-saving design
- Durable glass
- Tight, leakproof lids
- Oven and microwave safe
- The lids take a little effort to snap on/off.
- The lids do not go inside the microwave.
- Hand wash for the lids is recommended, as the heat from the dishwasher may dry out the rubber sealant after repeated washing.
These containers are made of very thick and long-lasting Pyrex glass.
This set has a nice selection of shapes and sizes. The same sizes of glassware stack inside nicely and the plastic lids stack for the same size as well. Some of the different shapes don’t nest together though. For maximized space-saving storage, keep the glass parts stacked separately from the plastic parts
The Pyrex glassware is microwaveable, freezer safe, and oven safe up to 450 degrees. The containers can go directly from the refrigerator to a microwave, but you need to remove the lids prior to placing them in the microwave. These containers shouldn’t be used under a flame or other direct heat source, including a stovetop.
The lids are made of hard plastic with snap-lock edges and fit multiple container sizes, which reduces the time searching for the lid you want. They form an airtight- seal, keeping everything from leaking, including soups. Your food is safely sealed and you don’t have to worry that it will leak or spill when putting it in your lunch bag. They can go on the top rack of the dishwasher (both containers and tops), just don’t select a very hot drying temperature.
The dishes have a small lip on the outer edge which makes it easy to take them out of the microwave oven without burning your fingers on hot bowls.
- Sturdy containers and lids
- Convenient sizes
- The tight seal preserves food freshness and prevents leakage
- Clean see-through glass
- The color-coding makes it easy to find a lid
- You can purchase replacement lids directly through Pyrex
- Takes a long to heat up food
- The lids are not microwave-safe
- They aren’t shatter-proof (not made of tempered glass)
- The lids are not totally leakproof
Disclaimer: All content on this blog is created for informational purposes only. You shouldn’t use it as a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.