The electric wok is s portable kitchen gadget, that has a bowl-shaped pan and an electric heating base that goes underneath. The bowl detaches from the base for easy cleaning. An electric wok gives you the freedom to cook anywhere near an outlet. The wattage rating for most appliances is about 1500 W. An electric wok is equipped with temperature controls to enable you to set the temperature appropriate for different recipes. The bowl has deep walls and a large capacity which results in fewer spills.
The following is the list of some possible reasons why should go for an electric wok:
- If you live in an area that does not supply gas for cooking, your options for wok cooking are pretty limited. Flat bottomed woks designed for electric stoves don’t get to the desired temperature needed to make a decent stir-fry as an electric stove cannot generate sufficient heat to distribute it throw the walls. Gas stoves can generate higher heat and they are better equipped to stabilize a round bottom wok.
- An electric wok is highly portable, and you can organize yourself to cook outdoor. This is convenient during hot summer days as wok can produce additional heat inside the house.
- If you’re a fan of Asian-style cooking, an electric wok is the perfect kitchen gadget for creating Asian-inspired stir-fries and flavorful vegetable dishes. You can have a perfectly cooked meal in about 5 minutes.
- Spacious Capacity: A large bowl with high sides is ideal for larger family meals and holiday cooking.
Possible Advantages Over Traditional Woks
- Effortless cooking: An electric wok sits securely at a place during cooking. You don’t have to hold the handle or move it around while stirring the ingredients.
- Say Goodbye to Seasoning: The interior surface is made of non-stick materials and is super easy to clean. The unit detaches from the base for washing in the dishwasher or for easier storage.
- Stable cooking temperatures: Agood quality electric wok reaches a remarkably high temperature and maintains constant temperature while cooking.
- Adjustable temperature control: Easily adjustable temperature controls give more cooking versatility as you can set the temperature according to your recipe. You can sear the meat and then turn down the heat to add in vegetables without worrying about overcooking the veggies.
- More esthetic look: Electric woks generally look elegant when sitting on the counter, while conventional woks may look discolored and dirty.
What can You Cook in an Electric Wok?
With an electric wok, you can cook anything you’d cook in a standard wok, including a variety of stir-fries, braising, deep-frying, steaming, sauces, soups. People typically associate woks with Chinese cooking and other Asian-style food, but you can use this cooking tool for pretty much everything. There are many ways you can use an electric wok, including making perfect scrambled eggs, potato chips, and preparing all kinds of crunchy and fresh-tasting veggies. When it comes to high-temperature cooking, make sure to use only oils with a high-burning point such as avocado oil. This appliance may help you to eat healthier and consume more veggies.
How to Maintain an Electric Wok
Easy peasy clean-up: The bowl can be detached from the base for cleaning. Make sure to do this when the wok is cooled down. However, in most cases, detaching the bowl is not necessary. You can just wipe out the bowl with a paper towel.
Utensils: Make sure to use non-metal utensils such as silicone or wooden spatula and turner. Metal utensils can leave scratches on the cooking surface. Silicone utensils are preferred over plastic ones as plastic has a lower melting point.
Storage: An electric wok is a bulky appliance and storing it when not in use can be a problem if your cupboard is small or you are tight on counter space. If you can’t place it on your countertop, you can disassemble it after use and cleaning to save storage space.
It is recommended to have an insulated sheet to protect your cupboard since this device can get very hot.
Budget-Friendly Electric Woks
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
Although an electric walk is a great idea there is a lot of room for technological improvements on models that are currently available on the market. Most of the time users complain about the non-stick coating that is flaking and heat that cycles on and off. Some models have an awkwardly placed temperature dial, while others have an inconveniently short power cord. To be able to offer electric woks at a competitive price, manufacturers often combine low prices with poor design.
Brands: Aroma Housewares AEW-306 5-Quart Electric Wok, 5900 1500-Watt Stainless-Steel Electric Wok by Presto, and 6.5 Liter Electric Wok by Tayama.
High-Quality Electric Woks
The sturdiness and stylish look of this device are evident as soon as you unbox it. It has a stainless steel base and thick walls with heat-responsive aluminum layers and a non-stick interior surface.
1500W butterfly heating element delivers high heat making it capable of doing high-temperature cooking. The heat is evenly distributed from the bottom to the walls.
With 15 easily adjustable heat settings, it responds immediately when you adjust the cooking temperature.
Heat recovery is quick and thick walls can maintain the high cooking temperature necessary for Asian-style food without the constant heat cycling.
The 14″ diameter and 6 qt capacity make it suitable for large family meals.
The titanium reinforced non-stick cooking surface is capable to withstand the high temperature needed for stir-frying.
You can unlock the bowl from the base to wash it in the dishwasher, but it is not necessary. It is easy to clean the interior of the wok with some paper towels.
The wok comes with a heavy tempered glass lid with a vent hole and a knob that doesn’t get too hot during cooking.
The electrical power cord is flexible and long enough to use the wok on a kitchen countertop. The power plug has a hole so you can put your finger through it to easily unplug it from the wall outlet.
It comes with a handbook with instructions for use and some recipes.
The possible downside is that the appliance is pretty big. But it would look stylish and elegant when stored on your countertop.
Another feature that you may don’t like is that there are numbers on the temperature dial instead of degrees.
Electric Woks Serve their Purpose
There are several good reasons that an electric wok might work well for you. An electric wok provides everything you need for wok cooking including high heat, good heat distribution, and the capacity to cook large family meals. This versatile appliance is getting approved by many cooks who have been cooking with a traditional wok.
If you are on the market for an electric wok, it would be worth spending some extra money to invest in a high-quality wok such as Breville BEW600XL Hot Wok. It is practical, useful, and a joy to prepare quick and healthy meals.
Hot or Not? – Healthy, Electric Nonstick Wok by Breville – YouTube video by Fit Men Cook