Universal lids are designed to accommodate the most common sizes of your round-shaped cookware. The lid has graduated size rings on the underside that enable it to fit a range of pot/pan sizes. Universal lid for pots and pans is one of the most often used cooking items that everyone needs to have in the kitchen.
The universal lid is a clever invention and one of the best purchases you can make. However, make sure to read the description carefully to get a lid cover that is compatible with your cookware.
Helpful YouTube Video:
Benefits of Having a Universal Lid
1. Versatile: A multi-size lid can be used as a replacement for lost, broken, or damaged lids. It is a great solution if you have a collection of pans that didn’t come with a lid, such as cast-iron pans. Many of these cookware pieces can be covered with just one universal toper.
2. Time saver: No more long searching for a lid that is compatible with the pan you are going to use. When you use the same lid for with most of your pans, there is only one lid you need to locate which saves you the time you would spend on searching for a matching lid.
3. Space saver: Universal lids keep your kitchen clutter-free by lessening the number of cookware pieces needing to be stored. Those versatile lids free up storage space keeping your cupboards tidy and well organized. Additionally, multi-size lids usually have a flat design to easily fit drawers and cupboards.
4. Cost-effective: You can save the money by replacing just the lid instead of buying new cookware. If you find a bargain in an outlet and purchase pan’s that come without tops, the problem is solved by using a multiple size lid.
Possible downside: Although, the universal lid is a versatile product, the covers with a large diameter may not sit well on small pans with a long handle, since the handle prevents the lid from fully covering the pan.
Stainless steel universal lids are durable and will last for many years, but don’t create a good seal as silicone coated lids would. These lids are oven safe and suitable for use on gas stoves.
Glass lids are convenient as the clear glass allows you to monitor the food you are cooking without breaking the seal. They usually have metal or silicone rim for more sturdiness or better seal. Glass lids also have a vent hole to free the steam and prevent overflow.
A very few brands are made only with silicone because silicone lack sturdiness and can bend. Silicone is often combined with a metal base or glass insert to add weight and sturdiness. Care should be taken if used for smaller pans on a gas burner, as silicone can be ruined on direct flame.
Some high-quality lids are constructed with a metal core and coated with silicone. Those lids provide sturdiness, tight seal, and they stay cool to the touch. The silicone coating won’t scratch the edges of your cookware as metal lids would. One-piece design makes it easy to keep them clean.
1. Silicone Universal Lid for Pots and Pans by Made In
While this universal lid is designed specifically to fit Made In’s cookware pieces, it is highly versatile and can be used with other pots and pans with similar dimensions.
This universal lid is very functional and eye-pleasing. Stainless steel interior ensures long-lasting sturdiness since silicone is too flexible on its own. The stainless steel core also adds weight to provide a good seal. The exterior made of FDA-approved silicone helps to trap the steam, keeps the lid from overheating, and prevents unpleasant metal noise when you use it.
The diameter of the lid is 10.75”, while the bottom side has three circular rings with 7”, 8.5”, and 10.25” in diameter. The lid is equipped with one oblong handle on the top that is easy to grip.
Silicone Universal Lid by Made In is dishwasher safe and oven safe up to a 400°F.
2. Frying Pan Silicone Universal Lid by Made In
This highly versatile lid is designed to fit multiple sized frying pans and can also serve as a splatter guard.
It is made of silicon-coated stainless steel. The stainless steel interior makes the lid heavy enough and resistant to warping, while silicone coating provides a good seal and makes the long ergonomic handle cool to the touch. The handle has a hole for hanging storage solution.
The circles at the bottom side measure 8, 10, and 12 inches to fit different pan sizes.
The lid is dishwasher safe and can go in the oven at up to 400 degrees.
3. MODERN INNOVATIONS Silicone Universal Lid Set
The set covers pans/pots ranging between 7 and 12 inches in diameter. Smaller Lid is approx. 9” wide and can fit pots and pans 8”, 9” and 10”, while the larger lid is approx. 12” wide and covers 10”, 11” and 12” pots and pans.
The Modern Innovations Universal Lid Set is made with durable and heavy tempered glass that allows you to see-through and check on the food being cooked without lifting the cover. The silicone outer ring has grooves to fit multiple pots and pans. The rim makes a snug seal to hold the heat inside the cookware and prevents accidental spillovers.
The lids have a small steam-release vent to keep liquids from boiling over. The silicone outer ring keeps the lids sitting well on the pan without sinking.
The silicone knob handle stays cool allowing you to lift a lid without a potholder. The lid can be placed in an oven, microwave, or fridge. They are suitable for covering your old cast iron skillets.
Although dishwasher safe, they are easy to clean by hand and will also remain their brand-new look for longer.
4. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Cookware Universal Lid
This innovative universal lid is compatible with pans with diameters ranging from 6″ to 12″, so it will fit almost any size pot/pan/skillet you have in your kitchen. It is made of durable and shiny stainless steel.
The lid is designed with high quality and is well balanced. The off-center handle provides a secure grip. However, the handle gets hot, so make sure to use a heat resistant glove or a potholder when lifting the lid.
The lid works very well with large pans. The asymmetrical weight makes it also stable on smaller pans. However, this lid is fairly large and can interfere with other pans on the stovetop.
ZWILLING universal lid is oven safe up to 500°F and suitable for use either on electric or gas stoves.