Do you struggle to fit veggies, mushrooms, shrimps, seafood, and other small size chunks on the grill? Are you tired of dealing with the skewers and awkward aluminum wraps? Can you forget about those inconvenient tools and losing your precious pieces of food through the grill grates? There is a simple way to attain delicious and crispy vegetables without making a mess. A grilling basket for vegetables is a huge food saver and the perfect tool for grilling veggies and other small size foods. This must-have addition to your BBQ allows the heat to reach the veggies and lets the food absorb the smoky flavor, but prevents food pieces from falling into the fire. The basket also enables you to shake or stir vegetables without getting half of them eaten up by your grill. This handy product helps you to grill tasty and delicious veggies and cook healthy meals at the same time. This can help you consume more vegetables, making your lifestyle healthier.
What Features a Quality Vegetable Grill Basket?
The grilling basket should be made of a durable material that stands the test of time. A quality grilling basket will serve you for many years without going to rust, twist or warp. If you opt for a basket with a non-stick finish, select the product with an FDA approved non-stick coating to eliminate health concerns.
The size of the basket you’ll need depends on who you’ll be grilling for. The product should be big enough to hold an appropriate quantity of vegetables, but still small enough to fit on your grill. Make sure to measure your grill before purchasing.
Deep walls help hold a lot of veggies and allow for efficient mixing. The sides of the basket should be high enough to allow room for stirring and tossing around your veggies throughout the cooking process. This way, your food will be kept inside the basket and will cook more evenly.
The handles should be wide enough to allow for a comfortable lift and easy movement of the basket. Sometimes, the measurements don’t include the handles. Before purchasing, make sure the product dimensions are compatible with your grill/smoker. Some brands have removable handles, which makes it easier to close the lid on our grill with the handle removed.
The holes or slots should be large enough to let marinade drain and allow heat to get through, but still narrow enough to allow you to toss without losing small pieces of veggies through the openings.
A good basket is smooth and has no burrs or sharp edges. This is especially important if the basket is not dishwasher safe and you can experience difficulty while cleaning it. Burrs and sharp edges that have remained around holes can make cleaning difficult or even cut your fingertips.
Stainless steel baskets are dishwasher safe. Some durable, non-stick, scratch resistant porcelain enamel coatings are also 100% dishwasher safe.
The baskets with a non-stick surface should be hand washed. Make sure the non-stick coated basket you will buy fits in your kitchen sink. Mesh baskets are extremely hard to clean, but those with a non-stick coating are easier to clean than non-coated ones.
Pay attention that some vegetable grilling baskets cannot be used over an open flame. Stainless steel baskets have the ability to withstand high temperatures. Certain types of non-stick coating are recommended for use only up to 200F, while others are recommended for certain types of grills only.
Shiny vegetable baskets don’t keep their beautiful appearance after repeated use. To keep them like new, it requires a lot of effort. The black enamel coating won’t change its appearance, unlike stainless steel products.
The Country of Manufacture
Grilling baskets made in the USA have been made to very strict standards, which doesn’t necessarily apply to imported grilling accessories.
Stainless Steel Vegetable Grilling Baskets
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Dishwasher safe.
- You can use metal utensils.
- Stand up to high temperatures.
- Safe for use on any grill.
- Darkens after a few uses.
- The food can stick to this basket.
- Spray a very light layer of olive oil on the basket to prevent foods from sticking to it.
- To keep it look polished, use Bar Keeper’s Friend Cleanser & Polish Non-Abrasive Powder (Store: Amazon).
Enamel (Porcelain) Coated Grilling Baskets
- Porcelain finish is safe for contact with foods.
- Dishwasher safe.
Not completely non-stick.
- You need to use spray oil to prevent sticking.
- Don’t use metal utensils on them to avoid chipping the porcelain.
Non-stick Coated Grilling Baskets
- Non-stick coated surface helps prevent food from sticking.
- Non-stick coating makes for easy cleanup.
- You can’t use metal utensils as they would scratch the non-stick surface.
- The non-stick coating comes off over time.
- Certain brands are not designed to withstand high temperature.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- You will only want to use silicone or wooden utensils to prevent damage to the finish.
- Make sure that the non-stick coating is FDA approved and therefore safe for contact with food.